How to Stream a Virtual Machine from a Web Server
It’s possible to stream a virtual machine from a Web server. In fact, you can start the virtual machine as soon as the download begins. (However, it’s important to note that you cannot stream a remote virtual machine.)
The steps are simple:
- First, make sure the virtual machine is available for streaming
- Determine the URL of the virtual machine
- For Windows, run the command: vmware.exe http://path_to_vm.vmx
- Or Linux, vmware http://path_to_vm.vmx
- Select the virtual machine and choose VM > Power > Power On.
Full instructions are available in VMware’s documentation here.